Terms & Conditions
Because Your Life Counts promises to protect and respect your privacy. Please read this policy carefully. We know it’s long, but it contains important information about how we protect, use and process any personal information you give to us. It also outlines our commitment to keeping your data safe and secure and managing it in line with data protection laws.
WHAT TYPE OF PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT?
The personal information we collect from you may include your name, address, email address, phone number, IP Address, and information about which pages on our websites you view and when.
We may also collect some information about your interests and preferences to make sure we're sending you the most relevant communications.
HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR DATA?
We collect information about you when you communicate and interact with us. This includes information you provide to us when you contact us about our services and projects, when you sign up to receive our e-bulletins and event updates. We also collect information from you when you make a donation, sign up to attend an event, apply to become a volunteer, or submit an application for one of our grants.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR DATA?
After we have received your information, there are a variety of ways in which we might use it to ensure we give you the best possible service. They include:
- Providing you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes
- Seeking your views or comments on the services we provide
- Handling and thanking you for a donation that you have made
- Providing you with information and support at any activities or fundraising events that you participate in, for example our sponsored runs and abseils
- Processing any purchases made in our online store
- Dealing with entries into a competition
- Analysing responses made to one of our surveys
- Letting you know about any changes to our services
- Handling a job or volunteer application
- Carrying out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us
- Ensuring that content from our sites is presented in the most effective manner for the computer or device you are using
We regularly review how long we hold onto your personal information. We are required to hold some types of information to fulfil our legal obligations (for example for the collection of gift aid). However, we will only ever hold your personal information on our systems for as long as necessary or as long as set out in any contract you hold with us.
HOW WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE
We invest in the appropriate resources to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We make sure we manage it in accordance with our legal responsibilities under applicable data protection laws.
Although all other information will be sent by a secure connection, information sent over the internet, including email, can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we take steps to ensure that it’s treated securely.
WHO HAS ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION
We will never sell or rent your information to third parties and we will never share information that individually identifies you with third parties for marketing purposes without your consent.
There may be some third parties that we need to share personal information with to help us provide services and products to you and to run our websites, including the following:
- Any entities who may, or do, acquire any rights in us in a merger, acquisition or reorganisation;
- Our advisors, in order to help us better manage, support or develop our organisation and comply with legal and regulatory obligations;
- Any service providers who need to know certain information to provide you (or us) with a product or service – such as our third-party payment processors;
- Our partners including, for example, event organisers we work with;
- Law enforcement bodies and/or regulatory entities, to comply with any legal obligation or court order.
We will always take steps to ensure that your privacy continues to be protected.
If you have any concerns or complaints as to how we have handled your personal information, please don't hesitate to get in touch and we will endeavour to investigate
We want to make sure you're in control of how we use and keep your information.
You have the right to:
- be told how your personal information will be used
- update or amend the information we hold about you
- change your communication preferences at any time
- ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information
- ask us to remove your personal information from our records
- request an electronic copy of your personal information be sent to you
- object to the processing of your information for marketing purposes on the basis of a legitimate interest or for statistical purposes
- raise a concern or complaint about the way in which your information is being used.